Pages

Thursday 22 May 2014

Quinoa Salad

Now that the weather is steadily becoming nicer out, and the days are becoming longer, I am becoming aware of the winter pounds that like to nestle onto us during the long months of cold days and hearty, warming meals. Needless to say I've been looking for some lighter options for my lunches that I can make ahead on the weekends to avoid rushing in the morning. I've been a fan of quinoa for a long time, I love the texture and pop of the grain, and the light nutty flavour it has. That’s how this salad came into my mind, I wanted to have a light, healthy lunch time meal that had enough protein to get me through the day







The sweet tomatoes and cucumber, paired with the tart peas and nutty quinoa makes this salad the ultimate lunch. Throw on that delicious blend of lemon and balsamic and your taste buds will be singing a little spring ditty while devouring every last bite of this delicious meal! I divided mine into 5 containers so I`d have lunch all week.



Summer Quinoa Salad
Loaded with protein and nutrients, and packed with flavour, you’ll be feeling refreshed and well nourished after a helping of this salad!

Time:
Prep Time: 10 minutes// Yields: 5 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked, cooled quinoa
  • 1/2 cucumber, diced
  • 1 container grape tomatoes, diced
  • 1 cup snow peas, halved
  • 1/4 cups feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
  • parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 TBSP balsamic
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Pepper to taste


Directions:
  • In a large measuring cup or small bowl, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and pepper and whisk with a fork until well mixed, set aside.
  • In a large bowl, add quinoa, cucumber, tomato and peas; pour in dressing and stir until well mixed together; top with feta, olives and parsley.
  • Cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your opinions, or what you think would be great in/with my recipes! Leave a comment!