Pages

Saturday 17 May 2014

Coconut Rice

One of my favourite things about eating out a Thai restaurant is the piping hot pot of coconut rice that you can order! No matter how full I am, I always seem to go back for another spoonful of it! So when I made my Hoisin Pork Lettuce Wraps for dinner, I just knew that I had to re-create my favourite restaurant side at home! This coconut rice recipe might be one of the tastiest and easiest side dishes I've ever made, it’s truly as easy as cooking rice but the coconut milk gives it such a creamy texture and delicious flavour! It goes great with any Asian or Thai inspired meals that you make and is such a nice break from regular rice. I usually serve brown rice with dinner, but this is one of the times you’ll want to use jasmine rice! It really compliments the flavour of coconut.


 {Fluff it with a fork, and let it stand for 5 minutes}
 
I made a double batch of both and we ate it for lunches the next day as a simple rice dish! One of the nice things about this rice dish is that you don’t need any butter or soy sauce (or your favourite rice dressing) because the flavour is so full and vibrant! And the smell as it cooks is heavenly, that light air of coconut and rice, it's a treat for your nose!



Coconut Rice
This rice is so creamy and delicious that you might just want to skip the main course and eat it all on its own!

Time:
Prep Time: 5 minutes // Cook Time: 20 minutes // Yields: 4 - 6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice, rinsed
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1 400 ml can of coconut milk
  • Pinch of salt

Directions:

  • Add all ingredients to a medium sized sauce pot, bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to low, cover and let simmer until rice is fully cooked and liquid is dissolved, stirring occasionally to avoid burning on the bottom, for 15 – 20 minutes. 
  • Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Garnish with finely chopped green onions. 
*One thing to note, is that the coconut milk tends to make the rice burn a bit on the bottom, so make sure you stir it really well and then let it simmer on very low, stirring occasionally throughout cooking time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your opinions, or what you think would be great in/with my recipes! Leave a comment!