Pages

Monday 26 May 2014

Eggs Benedict with Home-made Hollandaise Sauce

This weekend we woke up to absolutely gorgeous weather, it was sunny and hot right from the first moment we opened our eyes. Sunshine in the morning is always so rejuvenating, it really made me want to have a bright, delicious breakfast so we would have energy for the long day ahead! We decided to go to the lilac festival downtown, and the farmers market. So to start the day I decided to attempt something that's been on my bucket list for years but I've always been to intimidated to try! Boy am I feeling foolish I waited so long, how many packages of hollandaise have I gone through while stifled by my fear! Never again! This hollandaise was everything I wanted it to be, lemony, creamy, smooth, and best of all, EASY! It was SO easy! You can bet I'll be making this again.. maybe even next weekend!







Eggs Benedict with Home-made Hollandaise Sauce

Time:
Prep Time: 5 minutes // Cook Time: 30 - 45 minutes (For all components) // Yields: 2 servings

Ingredients:
2 english muffins, halved
4 eggs
8 slices bacon
1/2 tomato, diced
paprika, to ganish
1 tsp white vinegar

For the Hollandaise:
1/4 cup butter
4 egg yolks
1 - 2 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1-2 TBSP warm water
salt & pepper to taste

Direction:
In a large pan, cook bacon over medium heat to desired doneness (I like mine pretty crispy), transfer to paper towel lined plate to absorb grease; set aside. Dice tomato; set aside.
Fill a large pot with enough water to cover eggs by 1-2 inches, bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, add vinegar.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl beat the egg yolks, whisk in lemon juice, Dijon, salt & pepper; set aside.
Heat butter in a small sauce pot over low heat, being careful not to burn, slowly add it to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously until mixture is creamed. Add back to pot and heat on low, whisking gently, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 1 minute; Here I found my mixture to be a bit to thick, so I added 2 TBSP warm water and used a spatula to make sure I got the around the edges of the pot mixed in. Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
Toast your english muffins, add your eggs to the boiling water and poach until desired doneness (I like mine medium, so I poach them for 3 1/2 minutes).
Add bacon, tomatoes and egg to english muffins. Distribute hollandaise sauce evenly over eggs.
Sprinkle with paprika and enjoy!

*Note - I only slightly adapted this recipe by omitting the heavy cream and adding Dijon for flavour; it turned out to be quite lemony which I love but if you aren't as big a fan I recommend only use 1 TBSP lemon juice and adding to taste!

Reciped adapted from: http://www.thetaylor-house.com/eggs-benedict-homemade-hollandaise-sauce/#_a5y_p=1233846

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your opinions, or what you think would be great in/with my recipes! Leave a comment!