Pages

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Almond Crusted Eggplant

As the weather gets nicer, I am on the search for lighter, healthier side dishes that can be made quickly for a few reasons:

1. I can’t eat as much when it’s hot out.
2. I don’t want to spend as much time in the kitchen.
3. Bikini Season. Enough said.

These reasons all led me to the finding of this recipe, I love eggplant. I always have. As a kid, my mother made the most delicious Eggplant Parmesan, which I have spent many years tweaking and perfecting (Yes, I will post that recipe one of these days!) I don’t know if it’s the tender, soft texture or the delicious flavour that eggplant brings to a meal but it has always been one of my favourite veggies! So you can imagine my delight when I came across this wonderful recipe while roaming the wonderful world of Pinterest (and yes, by roaming I mean wasting meaningless hours scouring for new recipes!)



 mmm delicious lemony, herbed oil.. it really adds a delicious flavour!


Let's face it, breaded food is delicious!


I served up this delicious side paired with my Crunchy Cauliflower bites and a flavourful crock-pot pasta casserole for our Sunday night feast! Everything was a big hit, and we devoured all the eggplant and cauliflower before we even started on the main. They are just that good. If you don’t believe me, try them for yourself and let me know!


Almond Crusted Eggplant

This is the perfect side dish! Soft, tender eggplant crusted with a crunchy almond and oat breading and hints of lemon. You’ll be fighting over who gets the last piece when serving this at your table!

Time:

Prep Time: 5 minutes // Cook Time: 25 – 30 minutes// Yields: 2 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 chinese eggplants, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1/3 c. almond flour (or finely ground almonds)
  • 1/3 c. oat flour
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
  • 1 TBSP lemon joice
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • Salt & pepper to taste


Directions:

  • Lay eggplant on a plate, lightly salt both sides and let sit for 10 – 15 minutes (this will help draw out some of the bitterness of eggplant).
  • Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside
  • In a small bowl combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic powder, dried basil, salt and pepper.
  • In a shallow dish mix oat flour, almond flour and a pinch of salt.
  • Working one piece at a time, coat the eggplant in the oil mixture and then dredge the almond/oat mixture, pressing to stick; lay in a single layer on prepared baking sheet, when finished all the pieces, pour the remaining oil over for added crisp and flavour.
  • Bake for 15 minutes, then flip each piece and bake another 10 – 15 or until the eggplant is tender to a fork and the coating is crispy.
  • Serve with your favourite dip, or eat as is (they are so delicious you won’t need a dip!)

Emily.xo

Recipe adapted from: http://alimentageuse.com/home/2014/01/23/almond-crusted-baked-eggplant/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your opinions, or what you think would be great in/with my recipes! Leave a comment!