We’ve been getting a reprieve from all the hot weather with a few days of grey and rain, which is good for the trees and grass so I won’t be complaining, plus it’s still warm outside. But the grey does make me want to put away those summery salads and retreat to well known comfort foods and movie nights. And what is better comfort food than burritos? Usually I make mine with ground beef, but I had this left over roast that needed to be used, so I started thinking about the best way to make shredded beef burritos and I came up with this recipe.
These burritos are kind of like chimichangas, except they are baked and not fried because it’s much better for you! It may be comfort food, but that doesn’t mean I want to fry them, they still need to be healthy! Baking them was even better, I did brush them with a bit of oil and the tortilla crisped up very well! One thing, these things hold their heat very well so be careful while you are eating them not to burn your mouth! And maybe make a double batch, because they were flat-out delicious and would make a great lunch the next day!
Baked Beef & Bean Burritos
Prep Time: 5 minutes // Cook Time: 40 minutes // Yield: 4 Burritos
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 TBSP pickled jalapenos, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups cooked shredded beef
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp roasted garlic flakes
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- 1 can refried beans with green chilies
- 1/2 c. aged cheddar, grated
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chipotle hot sauce
- 4 tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a small pot, cook beans over low heat; once hot, stir in 1/4 c. cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin powder and chipotle hot sauce until cheese is melted; keep on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat, add onions, red pepper, garlic and jalapenos. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes; add the shredded beef, chili powder, garlic flakes, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and stir until mixed together; cook until meat is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the beans, beef and remaining cheese over 4 tortillas and roll into burritos, place seam side down on a large baking pan and brush lightly with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole, if desired