Pages

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Blueberry Spinach Smoothie

 Don’t you just love the spring time, when you wake up and the sunshine is coming through the blinds to greet you like an old friend? I always find it so much easier to haul myself out of bed, although that hasn’t been a problem since we got Hobbes. He’s about 8 months old now and seems to be going through the ‘teenage adolescent’ stage, meaning he loves to wake us up at 3:00 a.m. by running around like a fool! He also loves his early morning cuddles with me, as soon as my alarm goes off he’s on me, giving me his sweet cuddles and hugs. Really, he does hug. He sure is a wonderful kitty, except at 3:00 a.m. But back to the sunshine in the morning, I always find it so inspiring. I wake up and think, the sun’s shining yay! I better have something healthy to start my day. I’m not sure why, but the sun makes me think of healthy food! (Yes, probably because it means bikini season is coming, yikes!)


Generally my morning start with a nice cup of black tea with milk and honey, and half of a whole-wheat English muffin with my home-made almond butter (recipe coming next time I make a batch!!) and then for my mid-morning nourishment I opt for a smoothie. Today I was feeling particularly adventurous, knowing that I’d have a yoga class at lunch time to get through so I decided to throw a handful of spinach into my smoothie. I do this quite often when my smoothies need to be more of a meal then a delicious treat, and this did not disappoint. I couldn’t resist and drank it right away, and then had to make a second for later!


















I love the thick, creamy consistency of this smoothie as well as the delicious flavours from the fruit; many of you may say spinach? In a smoothie? No Way. But you’d be wrong. So wrong. Spinach in a smoothie is the perfect addition, the taste of it is masked by the fruit and it’s supplying plenty of extra protein and nutrients. I love to have a spinach smoothie before my lunch time yoga class, that way I know I’ll have the energy to really enjoy my practice without my stomach singing to the room (so embarrassing!!)


Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
This creamy, nutrient packed smoothie is perfect for breakfast, pre-work out or post-work out snack; it provides protein for your muscles and tastes like a bit of heaven! The coconut-blueberry-banana mix is a perfect blend of flavours, while the oats and spinach are packed with fiber and protein.

Time
Prep Time: 5 minutes // Yields: 1 serving

Ingredients
1.       1/4 c. oats, ground into flour consistency
2.       1/2 banana
3.       1/3 c. Frozen blueberries
4.       Handful of spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped
5.       Coconut water (roughly 1/2 - 2/3 c.)

Directions
1.       Add oats to blender and cover with some of coconut water, stir to combine well.
2.       Add banana, spinach and blueberries to the blender, and then fill about blender 2/3 full with remaining coconut water and blend until a nice, smooth consistency. There will probably be little bits of spinach that don’t blend, just take your floss with you!
*Please note – I did not measure the coconut water, so I’m guessing. It would be best to follow directions and eye ball.



Emily.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your opinions, or what you think would be great in/with my recipes! Leave a comment!